The internet is a global network of interconnected computers and devices that communicate with each other using a standardised set of protocols. It allows individuals, businesses, and organisations to share information, communicate, and access services and resources from anywhere in the world. The internet is made up of a vast network of servers, routers, switches, and other hardware and software components, all working together to enable data to be transmitted and received across the network. Users can access the internet through a variety of devices, including computers, smartphones, and tablets, and can use it to perform a wide range of tasks, from sending email and browsing the web to streaming video and participating in online gaming and social media.
HOW THE INTERNET WORKS
The internet is a vast network of interconnected computers and devices that communicate with each other using a standardised set of protocols. The following are the basic steps involved in how the internet works:
- User requests information: A user sends a request for information or data over the internet using a device like a computer or smartphone.
- Request is sent to a server: The request is sent to a server, which is a powerful computer that stores and manages data and applications that are accessible over the internet.
- Request is routed through a network: The request is routed through a network of devices, including routers and switches, that direct it towards its destination.
- Server processes the request: The server receives the request and processes it, sending the requested data or information back to the user’s device.
- Data is sent back to the user: The requested data or information is sent back to the user’s device, where it is displayed on the user’s screen.
This process happens millions of times every second, as users all over the world access and exchange information over the internet. The internet is able to handle this vast amount of data by using a distributed network architecture, where data is routed through multiple paths to reach its destination, and by using standardised protocols that ensure that data can be transmitted and received by different devices and networks.
USES OF THE INTERNet
The internet is a versatile tool with a wide range of uses. Here are some of the most common uses of the internet:
- Communication: The internet is a powerful tool for communication, allowing people to send messages, make voice and video calls, and share files with each other across the globe in real-time.
- Education: The internet provides access to a vast amount of educational resources, including online courses, lectures, tutorials, and research materials.
- Research: The internet is a rich source of information and research material, allowing people to search for and access information on almost any topic imaginable.
- Entertainment: The internet is a popular source of entertainment, with millions of people using it to stream videos, music, and games.
- E-commerce: The internet is a major platform for e-commerce, allowing businesses to sell products and services to customers around the world.
- Social networking: The internet is a popular platform for social networking, allowing people to connect and communicate with each other through social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- News and information: The internet provides access to a wide range of news and information sources, from traditional news outlets to independent blogs and websites.
- Business and productivity: The internet is a vital tool for businesses, providing them with access to online marketplaces, productivity tools, and communication and collaboration platforms.
These are just a few of the many uses of the internet, which continues to evolve and transform the way we live, work, and communicate with each other.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE WORLD WIDE WEB AND THE INTERNET
Although the terms “World Wide Web” and “Internet” are often used interchangeably, they refer to different things:
The Internet is a global network of interconnected computers and devices that communicate with each other using a standardised set of protocols. It allows for the transfer of data and information between devices across the world.
The World Wide Web, on the other hand, is a system of interconnected documents and resources, accessed through the Internet, that are linked by hyperlinks and URLs. It is a subset of the internet and is one of the most widely used applications of the internet.
The World Wide Web is a way of accessing information over the internet through a graphical user interface, using a web browser like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. It allows users to access and interact with web pages, which can contain text, images, videos, and other media.
In summary, the Internet is a global network of interconnected devices, while the World Wide Web is a way of accessing and interacting with information and resources on the Internet. The World Wide Web is a subset of the internet and is one of its most popular applications.